We put together a few resources for you to consider using in your Search Engine Optimization (SEO)Journey. If you need something not listed here please send me an email and I can get it added.
SEO Resources (Our Site)
We have resources that we have made to help explain SEO, tools we have developed to help clients, and checklists/worksheets to help people manage the SEO on their website. We also have a blog for other tips and tricks.
- SEO FAQ Section: You may have a question and need some answers. We listed the most frequently asked SEO questions to help.
- SEO Blog: TIps for a variety of SEO-related thoughts, questions, and news. We also post tools and resources regularly.
- SEO Glossary: In SEO there are some unique phrases and terms. Learn a few terms here.
- On-Page SEO Checklist/WorkSheet: A checklist of On-Page SEO things you need to be aware of to keep a positive SEO score.
SEO Resources (Off-Site)
Here are some tools and resources to help you along with your SEO journey.
Google Analytics (Free) - https://analytics.google.com/
- Install a tracking code so you can learn how your website is doing.
- Track visitors, where they are coming from, and what they are doing on your site.
Google Page Speed Insights (Free) - https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
- Test your website for page loading speed. Get some tips on how to improve the user experience.
Google Search Console (Free) - https://search.google.com/search-console/about
- Track your website visits, performance, and id issues.
- Review site indexing and more
ScreamingFrog (Freemium): https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/
- Crawls your website and reports back errors.
Why no Padlock? (Free): whynopadlock.com
- Check for SSL issues with your website.
- Identify Mixed Content Issues like secure websites displaying insecure information.
SEO Industry Sites
Search Engine Journal - searchenginejournal.com
Straight-up SEO news, best tips and practices, things to watch out for, and much more.
SE Roundtable - seroundtable.com
Search Engine Forum with details and information about Search Engines (SE) and changes they make, updates, and case studies.
Google's Search Guidelines/Insights
Google had created some search guides for beginners, along with some guidelines for third-party developers that want to share important information with Google.
Google Search for Beginners (One page with a video): https://developers.google.com/search/docs/beginner/how-search-works
Google Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines (Few hundred pages):
I have not tested these resources but they have been recommended by other SEO's.
Market Muse (Freemium): https://www.marketmuse.com/
- Tool for keyword research and content creation. Looks like there is a limited free version.
Ahrefs (Freemium): https://ahrefs.com/
- SEO Dashboard - This allows you to manage various aspects of SEO in one program
SEMrush (Freemium): https://www.semrush.com/
- SEO Dashboard includes PPC, Social Media, and More
MOZ (Freemium): https://moz.com/
- SEO Dashboard and SEO tool to help with SEO efforts
In Google, you can perform a few search functions that will help you figure out what Google has for your website.
Tip # 1: In Google use the search term "Site:yourdomain.com" using your domain name in the "yourdomain.com" section. Results: You can see which pages Google has inventoried.
Tips #2: In Google use the search term "related:yourdomain.com" using your domain name in the "yourdomain.com" section. Results: You can see which website Google thinks is related to your website. *This function may not work for smaller trafficked sites.
I put together a Squarespace SEO Guide for SEO efforts in Squarespace. It has links to how-to guides for fixing/updating your Squarespace website for SEO.
WordPress SEO Efforts
Here are some SEO tools and resources to help you with your SEO efforts on WordPress sites.
Google Site Kit (Free): https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-site-kit/
- One Plugin allows you to add Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and Get Page Insights.
- Make sure you configure the plugin while logged into your primary Google account.
Yoast SEO (Free): https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/
- Use the Free Service to help you get the basic SEO elements in place.
- Some advanced features can be a little tricky, but there are some great online guides.
This is a caching plugin (it loads your website quicker) and is used by SEOs and people that need a quick and easy caching plugin.
- Cache your website
- Remove/Compress CSS
- Lazy Load Images
- Optimize video loading
- Much more
*This is an affiliate link. I get a small commission if you buy this plugin.