SEO Resources for Squarespace Websites
Squarespace SEO Tools post started with a conference. I recently spoke at a conference, helping Interior Designers learn more about SEO. As part of the conference offering, I agreed to do a Free 15-minute consultation to help them out and answer questions.
I was surprised by the number of Squarespace Websites they were using. Some of these folks have paid thousands of dollars to have the site developed and created as a transactional and marketing site.
At the time of writing this post, I view Square space as a great starter website and great for e-commerce efforts. For SEO purposes, getting the site to rank is more challenging and complex when you have a comprehensive SEO plan that includes code; you can't change the code or server.
That said, I believe in working with what you have. So I created a guide to address some common SEO issues with websites in general and the specific tasks for fixing square space sites.
Code / Technical / On-Page SEO fixes for Squarespace Websites
- Adding Google Analytics: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace
- Adding Google Search Console: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205813918-Verifying-your-site-with-Google-Search-Console
Squarespace SEO Tools Page Level Fixes
- Adding SEO Titles: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206016198-Adding-SEO-descriptions
- Adding Meta Descriptions: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206016198-Adding-SEO-descriptions
- Add Alt Texts to Images: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542357-Adding-alt-text-to-images
- Resizing Images: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206566727-Adding-and-resizing-images
- Headings (H tags): https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002076628-Heading-tags-and-Squarespace
- URL Redirects: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815308-URL-redirects
- Page Speed Troubleshooting: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000341228-Site-performance-and-speed
If I missed something in this guide, please let me know.
Sidenote: I'm grateful for the DIY website builders that have allowed people a chance to get their business on the web quickly and cost-effectively. But each of these programs has its limitations and ideal capacity. There comes a place in a business lifecycle when the tools and resources you have used need to be upgraded or replaced.
I also recognize that these DIY web builder services continue improving their products and incorporating more SEO and ADA compliance into their systems. I also acknowledge that as a recovering web developer, I have my own biases and preferences. My knowledge and skill level allow me to develop more complicated sites on robust platforms simultaneously as someone learning to DIY a website.
Senior-level SEO consultant that enjoys helping businesses learn how to SEO their website since 2007. I have over 20 years of experience helping business owners realize their goals through process development, data-driven decision-making, and simplifying complex processes.