Understanding Local SEO and How to Optimize Your Website for Local Searches
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is optimizing your website for local searches to improve your business's visibility in local search engine results. Local SEO involves optimizing your website's content, keywords, and links to target specific geographic areas.
Why is Local SEO Important for Businesses with a Physical Location?
For businesses with a physical location, local SEO is especially important because it helps your business show up in local search results when people are looking for products or services in your area. This can lead to increased traffic to your website, more foot traffic to your store, and ultimately more sales.
Some Tips to Optimize Your Website for Local Searches
- Claim and Optimize Your Google My Business Listing One of the essential steps in local SEO is claiming and optimizing your Google My Business listing. Ensure your listing is complete, accurate, and up-to-date with your business's name, address, phone number, website, and hours of operation.
- Add photos to your listing to make it more attractive and engaging
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on your Google My Business listing to improve your business's credibility and visibility in local search results
- If you're uncomfortable managing your Google My Business listing, consider hiring a professional to help you optimize it. Look for an SEO expert or digital marketing agency with industry experience in local SEO.
- Use Local Keywords in Your Website's Content Incorporating local keywords into your website's content can help your website rank higher in local search results. Consider using location-specific keywords in your page titles, meta descriptions, and on-page content.
- Use Google's Keyword Planner to research local keywords that people are searching for in your area
- Don't overdo it – use keywords naturally and avoid "stuffing" them into your content.
- If you're not comfortable doing keyword research and incorporating local keywords into your website's content, consider hiring an SEO copywriter or content marketing agency with experience in local SEO.
- Build Local Links Building local links to your website can help improve your website's visibility in local search results. Consider partnering with other local businesses or organizations to exchange links and build your online presence in your community.
- Look for local directories or business associations that offer link-building opportunities.
- Avoid link schemes or black hat SEO tactics that can hurt your website's credibility and search engine rankings.
- If you're not comfortable building links to your website, consider hiring an SEO agency with experience in link building and local SEO.
How is Local Different from other SEO Efforts?
Local SEO differs from regular SEO efforts by focusing specifically on optimizing a website's online presence for local search results. While regular SEO aims to increase a website's visibility and rankings on a global or national level, local SEO focuses on improving a website's visibility for location-specific searches, such as "coffee shops near me" or "lawyers in Chicago."
A Simple Monthly Local SEO To-Do List
Here's a simple to-do list you can use each month to keep your local SEO efforts on track:
- Check your Google My Business listing for accuracy and completeness
- Research local keywords and update your website's content
- Reach out to local businesses or organizations for link-building opportunities
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on your Google My Business listing
- Monitor your website's search engine rankings and make adjustments as needed.
Local SEO can help your business stand out in local search results and drive more traffic to your website and physical location. By claiming and optimizing your Google My Business listing, using local keywords in your website's content, building local links, and monitoring your search engine rankings, you can improve your business's visibility and ultimately grow your customer base.
Remember, if you're not comfortable managing your local SEO efforts on your own, don't hesitate to seek out help from a professional with experience in local SEO. If you need help setting priorities or executing this work, feel free to contact us.
Want some help?
Book a Free 15 Minute Consultation to get help with your local search.
Senior-level SEO consultant that enjoys helping businesses learn how to SEO their website since 2007. I have over 20 years of experience helping business owners realize their goals through process development, data-driven decision-making, and simplifying complex processes.