We have decided to list out some of the factors of success for Search Engine Optimization. These are some of the basic mechanics website owners have to be aware of when engaging in search engine optimization.
Search Engine Optimization: Basics Mechanics
There are several factors of a website that will cause a website to gain better search rankings for specific keywords. These are in no particular order.
- Age of the site - Sites that have been around longer will tend to outperform newer websites that are also optimized, all things being equal. The idea is these sites have been around longer and must be relevant.
- Keyword Usage - Sites that can demonstrate a keyword mastery that includes relevancy and concentration will out perform other websites. The relevancy to what people are searching is very important.
- Sites Index Appropriately - Sites need to be conscious of the coding of their website. When websites are crawled and contain errors or hacks, the spiders will pause and move to the next site to index, essentially moving to the next best option, returning back to the site at a later time. If your site contains less errors, more pages will be indexed on a regular basis.
- User Experience - Search Engine Spiders will attempt to simulate what a user’s experience may be like based on the coding of the website. If hidden functions or the website coding misleads or misrepresents what is actually on the website, a website may have its search engine ranking reduced. The code needs to present information in a clear and concise way. This also includes page loading speeds. They need to be optimized for user experience.
- Originality of work - If you want your site to perform well, your website needs to contain original content, or very limited "borrowed" content. If content is borrowed, you need to be sure to note that in the code so the search spiders know that you are giving credit to the original author.
- Relation to other websites - Sites need to be affiliated with websites that also share common thoughts language and keywords. Connecting your website to a bunch of fluff websites won't gain you any search engine rankings. Be mindful of building quality relationships with other websites.
- Frequency of new information - Website needs to be kept up to date. If your website hasn't been update in the last few years, you could be lacking in relevancy. Consider refreshing information on a few pages, or adding a blog feature to your website.
- Good Actor: Don't game the system - Search Engine Spiders are becoming more and more sophisticated. Using feeder websites, keyword stuffing, black hat techniques, and other shortcuts to gain a short term advantage results in severe penalties.
- Competitor websites - Sites that are using similar words and phrases are active competitors. In the spirit of healthy competition, your website will place depending on how well your competitors are engaged in search engine optimization strategies. New websites are cropping up everyday so the landscape shifts and new people enter the market with SEO already in mind. As competing websites engage in SEO to prevent loss in market share or gain new ground, this may negatively effect your SEO rankings.
These are some of the factors that contribute to a successful search engine optimization campaign. We outline how we address some of these factors.
How we perform Search Engine Optimization
We use a comprehensive strategy for search engine optimization. We use reports to audit the code, keywords, links, and competitors. We then consult with you and your team on how to implement positive changes to a websites code, content, and links. We can continuously monitor competitor websites to benchmark and ensure our clients are utilizing the best strategy.
If you are interested in getting started with us, check out our getting started page.