We have decided to list out some of the Search Engine Optimization factors. These are some basic mechanics website owners must be aware of when engaging in search engine optimization.
Search Engine Optimization: Basics Mechanics
Several factors of a website will cause a website to gain better search rankings for specific keywords. These are in no particular order.
- Age of the site - Sites that have been around longer will tend to outperform newer websites that are also optimized, all things being equal. The idea is these sites have been around longer and must be relevant.
- Keyword Usage - Sites that can demonstrate a keyword mastery that includes relevancy and concentration will outperform other websites. The relevance to what people are searching for is significant.
- Sites Index Appropriately - Sites need to be conscious of the coding of their website. When websites are crawled and contain errors or hacks, the spiders will pause and move to the following site to Index, essentially moving to the next best option, returning to the site at a later time. If your site contains fewer errors, more pages will be indexed regularly.
- User Experience - Search Engine Spiders will attempt to simulate what a user's experience may be like based on the website's coding. If hidden functions or the website coding misleads or misrepresents what is actually on the website, a website may have its search engine ranking reduced. The code needs to present information clearly and concisely. These factors also affect page loading speeds. Optimize your website pages for user experience.
- The originality of work - If you want your site to perform well, your website must contain original or minimal "borrowed" content. If the content is "borrowed," you need to be sure to note that in the code, so the search spiders know that you are giving credit to the original author.
- Relation to other websites - websites must be affiliated with websites that share common thoughts, language, and keywords. Connecting your website to a bunch of fluff websites won't gain you any search engine rankings. Be mindful of building quality relationships with other websites.
- Frequency of new information - Website needs to be kept up to date. If you have not updated your website in the last few years, you could lack relevancy. Consider vital information on a few pages or add a blog feature to your website.
- Good Actor: Don't game the system - Search Engine Spiders are becoming more and more sophisticated. Using feeder websites, keyword stuffing, black hat techniques, and other shortcuts to gain a short-term advantage results in severe penalties.
- Competitor websites - Sites that use similar words and phrases are active competitors. In the spirit of healthy competition, your website will place depending on how well your competitors are engaged in search engine optimization strategies. New websites are cropping up every day, so the landscape shifts and new people enter the market with SEO already in mind. Competing websites engage in SEO to prevent loss in market share or gain new ground, negatively affecting your SEO rankings.
These are some of the factors that contribute to a successful search engine optimization campaign. We outline how we address some of these factors.
How we perform Search Engine Optimization
We use a comprehensive strategy for search engine optimization. We use reports to audit the code, keywords, links, and competitors. We then consult with you and your team on implementing positive changes to a website's code, content, and links. We can continuously monitor competitor websites to benchmark and ensure our clients are utilizing the best strategy.
If you are interested in getting started with us, check out our getting started page.
Senior-level SEO consultant that enjoys helping businesses learn how to SEO their website since 2007. I have over 20 years of experience helping business owners realize their goals through process development, data-driven decision-making, and simplifying complex processes.